Skip to main content

Breaking Down Engineering Investment at Innovative Companies

I’m always looking for good ways to understand how companies invest money internally. When I was a Gartner analyst, I would keep an eye on data from Glassdoor and LinkedIn regularly to try to gauge the trends. I would use them in my understanding of companies versus what I was being told by the companies and end-users themselves. I always did this by checking content on the sites regularly and recording it into build patterns and trends.

Thankfully, LinkedIn has come to the rescue by releasing the Premium Insights feature on company pages. I’ve been looking at this data, and I’m finding some interesting trends regarding what it uncovers. I’m also going to compare the LinkedIn data with the Gartner data which shows market share and revenue.  

I’m going to have a look at the larger companies in ITOM to compare those which are investing for the future of their customers and those who seem to prioritize other functions. I’m going to look at Support and Engineering percentages and revenue based on the Gartner market data.

Company
Employee Growth (2 yr)
Employee Tenure (2 yr)
Engineering (%)
Sales
Revenue change (3yr) - Software
Source
LinkedIn
LinkedIn
LinkedIn
LinkedIn
Gartner
AppDynamics
114%
1.7
32%
28%
531%
AppNeta
48%
2.6
22%
32%
162%
BMC
-5%
7.2
10%
17%
-2%
CA Techn
-13%
6.5
30%
16^
-10%
Dynatrace
37%
3.1
21%
23%
N/A
HP
-1%
7.9
14%
9%
-22%
IBM
-3%
8.1
16%
8%
-9%
Idera
18%
3,1
9%
49%
N/A
New Relic
90%
1.7
27%
29%
188%
Microsoft
-4%
6.1
25%
13%
3%
Google
20%
3.8
32%
12%
26%
Solarwinds
11%
3.1
15%
24%
52%
ServiceNow
67%
2.2
16%
20%
142%
Splunk
81%
2.2
25%
29%
116%
VMware
3%
3.8
32%
15%
27%

The reason I decided to analyze the turnover, is because happy employees shouldn’t be leaving. Then again, if you are in hyper growth mode, the turnover will likely be much higher. The other key number is the investment in engineering. If you are an end-user, it’s critical your vendor is investing in engineering. It seems the sweet spot for engineering is in the mid-twenties, but if you have a large portfolio of products, this could also potentially skew how much innovation is going on.

Disclaimer: This is my personal website and reflects my views and opinions only.  Any comments made on this website by myself or by third parties do not necessarily reflect views or opinions of my employer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dynatrace Growth Misinformation

For my valued readers: I wanted to point out some issues I’ve recently seen in the public domain. As a Gartner analyst, I heard many claims about 200% growth, and all kind of data points which have little basis in fact. When those vendors are asked what actual numbers they are basing those growth claims on, often the questions are dodged. Dynatrace, recently used the Gartner name and brand in a press release. In Its First Year as an Independent Company, Gartner Ranks Dynatrace #1 in APM Market http://www.prweb.com/releases/2015/06/prweb12773790.htm I want to clarify the issues in their statements based on the actual Gartner facts published by Gartner in its Market Share data: Dynatrace says in their press release: “expand globally with more than three times the revenue of other new generation APM vendors” First, let’s look at how new the various technologies are: Dynatrace Data Center RUM (DCRUM) is based on the Adlex technology acquired in 2005, but was cr

Misunderstanding "Open Tracing" for the Enterprise

When first hearing of the OpenTracing project in 2016 there was excitement, finally an open standard for tracing. First, what is a trace? A trace is following a transaction from different services to build an end to end picture. The latency of each transaction segment is captured to determine which is slow, or causing performance issues. The trace may also include metadata such as metrics and logs, more on that later. Great, so if this is open this will solve all interoperability issues we have, and allow me to use multiple APM and tracing tools at once? It will help avoid vendor or project lock-in, unlock cloud services which are opaque or invisible? Nope! Why not? Today there are so many different implementations of tracing providing end to end transaction monitoring, and the reason why is that each project or vendor has different capabilities and use cases for the traces. Most tool users don't need to know the implementation details, but when manually instrumenting wi

Vsphere server issues and upgrade progress

So I found out that using the host update tool versus Vcenter update manager is much easier and more reliable when moving from ESXi 3.5 to 4.0. Before I was using the update manager and it wasn't working all that reliably. So far I haven't had any issues using the host update tool. I've done many upgrades now, and I only have 4 left, 3 of which I am doing this weekend. Whenever I speak to vmware they always think I'm using ESX, when I prefer and expect that people should move to the more appliance model of ESXi. With 4.0 they are pretty much on par, and I'm going to stick with ESXi. On one of my vsphere 4.0 servers (virtualcenter) its doing this annoying thing when I try to use the performance overview:   Perf Charts service experienced and internal error.   Message: Report application initialization is not completed successfully. Retry in 60 seconds.   In my stats.log I see this.   [28 Aug 09, 22:28:07] [ERROR] com.vmware.vim.stats.webui.startup.Stat