Skip to main content

Time to move on, and time to learn

Sorry its been a while since I have posted last.  I decided to move on from my previous position.  I learned at a lot there, but it was getting somewhat slow the last 6 months.  My skills are better used for more complex problems that the IT world is facing.  I have had some pretty interesting discussions and interviews in the last week.  I was hoping to enjoy my unemployment a little bit more.... maybe after my offer is signed.

Some non-technical notes, since I have a diverse set of skills I find my resume geared towards one type of career path and not another.  This limited my opportunities to "get in the door" for some positions I think I would be well suited for.  I have started by making some more detailed and targeted versions of my resume which are geared towards some of the other fields that I have experience in.

I wish there was a better way to manage and express all of your skills without having a 15 page resume, or 4 versions that are mostly the same.  If anyone has comments or ideas please leave them!

If anyone wants to discuss any openings with me, there is a digsby chat here, or you can email me from the blog.

Now for some technology projects and learning: 

Since I have some free time and feel that I have been off my Oracle game for the last 2-3 years I am evaluating and testing several products.  Expect another post later this week on these products:

1.  Oracle 11g and Weblogic (used these, but it was 3-4 years ago)
2.  Oracle Enterprise Manager - Specifically around the VM management parts
3.  Oracle Linux
4.  Oracle VM
5.  Oracle Real User Experience Insight - Never heard of this before, but it looks interesting!

I am looking at these to see where Oracle/Sun have gone the last couple years, and just as a general educational experience for me.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I'm in the same boat so I sympathize. The only way I've found is to have 4 different resumes -- but they can't be mostly the same. I try to describe different aspects of my projects that would be interesting to the different jobs in the different resumes. Like the ROI calculator I built a few years back, when I'm applying for IT strategy jobs I describe the 'building business case' aspects but if I'm applying for competitive analysis jobs I describe how I used the calculator to compare different products. Both things are true but I choose which to highlight on a specific resume version.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Popular posts from this blog

Industry Insights: The Challenges Behind New User Interfaces

The future of computing will be bifurcated. On one hand, there will be entirely new models for computing such as voice, autonomous agents, and bots, with no traditional user interfaces. On the extreme opposite hand, there will be new user interfaces augmented with our ‘real’ worlds, such as the innovation done by Microsoft holographic computing technologies, along with virtual reality platforms coming to market from Google and Facebook. Bringing these trends to fruition, though, will require some key enabling technological limitations to be overcome. Voice It’s been slowly happening for a while now: Voice recognition will change one of the key interfaces with today’s computing and applications. Apple’s Siri, Google Now, Microsoft Cortana, and the super-hot Amazon Echo, along with their smart agents, are the practical embodiments of a growing trend toward the application of machine learning to voice and data. Andrew Ng, chief scientists at Baidu, says that 99 percent accuracy is th...

Dynatrace Growth Misinformation

For my valued readers: I wanted to point out some issues I’ve recently seen in the public domain. As a Gartner analyst, I heard many claims about 200% growth, and all kind of data points which have little basis in fact. When those vendors are asked what actual numbers they are basing those growth claims on, often the questions are dodged. Dynatrace, recently used the Gartner name and brand in a press release. In Its First Year as an Independent Company, Gartner Ranks Dynatrace #1 in APM Market http://www.prweb.com/releases/2015/06/prweb12773790.htm I want to clarify the issues in their statements based on the actual Gartner facts published by Gartner in its Market Share data: Dynatrace says in their press release: “expand globally with more than three times the revenue of other new generation APM vendors” First, let’s look at how new the various technologies are: Dynatrace Data Center RUM (DCRUM) is based on the Adlex technology acquired in 2005, but was cr...

Vsphere server issues and upgrade progress

So I found out that using the host update tool versus Vcenter update manager is much easier and more reliable when moving from ESXi 3.5 to 4.0. Before I was using the update manager and it wasn't working all that reliably. So far I haven't had any issues using the host update tool. I've done many upgrades now, and I only have 4 left, 3 of which I am doing this weekend. Whenever I speak to vmware they always think I'm using ESX, when I prefer and expect that people should move to the more appliance model of ESXi. With 4.0 they are pretty much on par, and I'm going to stick with ESXi. On one of my vsphere 4.0 servers (virtualcenter) its doing this annoying thing when I try to use the performance overview:   Perf Charts service experienced and internal error.   Message: Report application initialization is not completed successfully. Retry in 60 seconds.   In my stats.log I see this.   [28 Aug 09, 22:28:07] [ERROR] com.vmware.vim.stats.webui.startup.Stat...