We did the yearly HP upgrade over the last couple weeks, here is the rundown on the technologies and what was involved in each:
1. QTP – Very easy upgrade, did this on our terminal server and a desktop. The license server is now supported on 64-bit machines, so we moved the license server off an older 2003 box onto a 2008R2 system. No issues with the upgrade, and there seems to be a lot of improvements. Still waiting for feedback from our QA team on the improvements.
2. PC – Ended up building a couple new VMs for this, as we moved it onto Windows 2008R2 (64-bit) as well. There were no issues with the reinstall or moving our scripts and data over to the new systems. The tool itself didn’t have a lot of changes, but the fact that it runs on 64-bit is a good step to us getting rid of our 2003 systems.
3. QC – This one is the problem child. Initially we were going to be doing a larger rollout of QC10, so we built 2 VMs. One was for the DB and one for the app. The DB needed to be on an older OS and such, which was annoying. I ended up reinstalling it onto a Windows 2008 (32-bit) system along with moving to SQL 2008. They don’t yet support SQL 2008 R2 or Windows 2008 R2 from looking at the documentation. It was not all that clear. I have a case open with HP, as during the setup it doesn’t seem to want to connect to the database. I have checked the SQL Server TCP settings, and verified the login/password both locally and over the network. More on this one as HP helps me with the issues.
Sorry for the lack of updates, I should have a few posts coming up now.