Skip to main content

HP Upgrades – QC,QTP,PC

Before I go into these 3 suites of tools, when is HP finally going to update BAC, RUM, or Diagnostics? It seemed like these tools have been really stagnate the last 3 years. I’m not going to HP Software Universe anymore, and I keep getting new account reps, so I have no idea what the roadmap is these days. That’s enough HP bashing, onto the good stuff.

We did the yearly HP upgrade over the last couple weeks, here is the rundown on the technologies and what was involved in each:

1. QTP – Very easy upgrade, did this on our terminal server and a desktop. The license server is now supported on 64-bit machines, so we moved the license server off an older 2003 box onto a 2008R2 system. No issues with the upgrade, and there seems to be a lot of improvements. Still waiting for feedback from our QA team on the improvements.

2. PC – Ended up building a couple new VMs for this, as we moved it onto Windows 2008R2 (64-bit) as well. There were no issues with the reinstall or moving our scripts and data over to the new systems. The tool itself didn’t have a lot of changes, but the fact that it runs on 64-bit is a good step to us getting rid of our 2003 systems.

3. QC – This one is the problem child. Initially we were going to be doing a larger rollout of QC10, so we built 2 VMs. One was for the DB and one for the app. The DB needed to be on an older OS and such, which was annoying. I ended up reinstalling it onto a Windows 2008 (32-bit) system along with moving to SQL 2008. They don’t yet support SQL 2008 R2 or Windows 2008 R2 from looking at the documentation. It was not all that clear. I have a case open with HP, as during the setup it doesn’t seem to want to connect to the database. I have checked the SQL Server TCP settings, and verified the login/password both locally and over the network. More on this one as HP helps me with the issues.

Sorry for the lack of updates, I should have a few posts coming up now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dynatrace Growth Misinformation

For my valued readers: I wanted to point out some issues I’ve recently seen in the public domain. As a Gartner analyst, I heard many claims about 200% growth, and all kind of data points which have little basis in fact. When those vendors are asked what actual numbers they are basing those growth claims on, often the questions are dodged. Dynatrace, recently used the Gartner name and brand in a press release. In Its First Year as an Independent Company, Gartner Ranks Dynatrace #1 in APM Market http://www.prweb.com/releases/2015/06/prweb12773790.htm I want to clarify the issues in their statements based on the actual Gartner facts published by Gartner in its Market Share data: Dynatrace says in their press release: “expand globally with more than three times the revenue of other new generation APM vendors” First, let’s look at how new the various technologies are: Dynatrace Data Center RUM (DCRUM) is based on the Adlex technology acquired in 2005, but was cr

Vsphere server issues and upgrade progress

So I found out that using the host update tool versus Vcenter update manager is much easier and more reliable when moving from ESXi 3.5 to 4.0. Before I was using the update manager and it wasn't working all that reliably. So far I haven't had any issues using the host update tool. I've done many upgrades now, and I only have 4 left, 3 of which I am doing this weekend. Whenever I speak to vmware they always think I'm using ESX, when I prefer and expect that people should move to the more appliance model of ESXi. With 4.0 they are pretty much on par, and I'm going to stick with ESXi. On one of my vsphere 4.0 servers (virtualcenter) its doing this annoying thing when I try to use the performance overview:   Perf Charts service experienced and internal error.   Message: Report application initialization is not completed successfully. Retry in 60 seconds.   In my stats.log I see this.   [28 Aug 09, 22:28:07] [ERROR] com.vmware.vim.stats.webui.startup.Stat

Misunderstanding "Open Tracing" for the Enterprise

When first hearing of the OpenTracing project in 2016 there was excitement, finally an open standard for tracing. First, what is a trace? A trace is following a transaction from different services to build an end to end picture. The latency of each transaction segment is captured to determine which is slow, or causing performance issues. The trace may also include metadata such as metrics and logs, more on that later. Great, so if this is open this will solve all interoperability issues we have, and allow me to use multiple APM and tracing tools at once? It will help avoid vendor or project lock-in, unlock cloud services which are opaque or invisible? Nope! Why not? Today there are so many different implementations of tracing providing end to end transaction monitoring, and the reason why is that each project or vendor has different capabilities and use cases for the traces. Most tool users don't need to know the implementation details, but when manually instrumenting wi