Skip to main content

Been a good week – Windows 7 and Engineering Update

Sorry I haven't been posting as much as usual. Last weekend, I had some free time, and ended up re-installing one of my desktops at home with Windows 7. I liked the OS so much I ended up doing the same on my laptop. The OS is very responsive, and although I do like Vista, I agree that Windows 7 is a major improvement in many areas. The new taskbar took some getting used to, but the search and overall responsiveness are welcomed.

In more fun server news, I have been working on lots of different issues/engineering tasks:

  1. Tape backup drive is hosed, and I've been eating lots of time with Dell on this issue, I wish they would just swap it out. Annoying, but the service is much improved from what it was before when I was dealing with them previously.
  2. Redoing a bunch of stuff on the netapp to get ready for the new product release, its all coming together now J
    1. Having some odd issues with multi-protocol permissions and such, also having an issue with some of our NFS exports not showing up in the web gui (Filerview) but showing up on the CLI. Strange one.
  3. Put up a MSSQL cluster, but had a strange issue. Debugged it with Microsoft for a few days.
    1. Issue creating failover cluster - Getting Event ID: 1570.
    2. Tried to turn on the firewall as per microsoft's recommendation. I don't see why this matters, but we did it anyways. I had to make some custom ports for UDP 3343 and TCP 3343.
    3. Ended up having a user in AD with the same name as the computer account. This was giving us the access denied error. Renamed the user, and the cluster was fine.
    4. Was on the phone and email for too long with the engineer, but happy it got resolved.
  4. Getting a new conference calling solution for cheaper calls than what we pay now with BT. We use the conference calling internally since we have offices in Europe and Asia. We prefer and try to use Skype as much as possible.

Have to head back to Geneva next month for 3-4 weeks, which should be a good useful trip! Looking forward to working with my company over there, my main engineer has been there for a week, and will be there for another 2 weeks. He has been really fixing things up in the office, which are all much needed improvements.

Last item… Go Celtics! Go Bruins J

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dynatrace Growth Misinformation

For my valued readers: I wanted to point out some issues I’ve recently seen in the public domain. As a Gartner analyst, I heard many claims about 200% growth, and all kind of data points which have little basis in fact. When those vendors are asked what actual numbers they are basing those growth claims on, often the questions are dodged. Dynatrace, recently used the Gartner name and brand in a press release. In Its First Year as an Independent Company, Gartner Ranks Dynatrace #1 in APM Market http://www.prweb.com/releases/2015/06/prweb12773790.htm I want to clarify the issues in their statements based on the actual Gartner facts published by Gartner in its Market Share data: Dynatrace says in their press release: “expand globally with more than three times the revenue of other new generation APM vendors” First, let’s look at how new the various technologies are: Dynatrace Data Center RUM (DCRUM) is based on the Adlex technology acquired in 2005, but was cr

Misunderstanding "Open Tracing" for the Enterprise

When first hearing of the OpenTracing project in 2016 there was excitement, finally an open standard for tracing. First, what is a trace? A trace is following a transaction from different services to build an end to end picture. The latency of each transaction segment is captured to determine which is slow, or causing performance issues. The trace may also include metadata such as metrics and logs, more on that later. Great, so if this is open this will solve all interoperability issues we have, and allow me to use multiple APM and tracing tools at once? It will help avoid vendor or project lock-in, unlock cloud services which are opaque or invisible? Nope! Why not? Today there are so many different implementations of tracing providing end to end transaction monitoring, and the reason why is that each project or vendor has different capabilities and use cases for the traces. Most tool users don't need to know the implementation details, but when manually instrumenting wi

Vsphere server issues and upgrade progress

So I found out that using the host update tool versus Vcenter update manager is much easier and more reliable when moving from ESXi 3.5 to 4.0. Before I was using the update manager and it wasn't working all that reliably. So far I haven't had any issues using the host update tool. I've done many upgrades now, and I only have 4 left, 3 of which I am doing this weekend. Whenever I speak to vmware they always think I'm using ESX, when I prefer and expect that people should move to the more appliance model of ESXi. With 4.0 they are pretty much on par, and I'm going to stick with ESXi. On one of my vsphere 4.0 servers (virtualcenter) its doing this annoying thing when I try to use the performance overview:   Perf Charts service experienced and internal error.   Message: Report application initialization is not completed successfully. Retry in 60 seconds.   In my stats.log I see this.   [28 Aug 09, 22:28:07] [ERROR] com.vmware.vim.stats.webui.startup.Stat