- 5 companies are public
- Broadcom, Cisco, NetScout, Viavi (JDSU) have been for a very long time. NetScout is the only of these vendors who make the bulk of their revenue in NPM technologies.
- Congratulations to SolarWinds and the wizards at Thoma Bravo for the re-spinout!
- 1 company is venture capital-backed (Extrahop)
- 5 companies are owned by private equity (Accedian, RiverBed, LiveAction, LogicMonitor, SevOne)
- Can't figure out who owns Colasoft, Zoho, and H3C. H3C is very large and diversified, as is Zoho.
Great, so if this is open this will solve all interoperability issues we have, and allow me to use multiple APM and tracing tools at once? It will help avoid vendor or project lock-in, unlock cloud services which are opaque or invisible? Nope! Why not?
Today there are so many different implementations of tracing providing end to end transaction monitoring, and the reason why is that each project or vendor has different capabilities and use cases for the traces. Most tool users don't need to know the implementation details, but when manually instrumenting with an API, t…